Good morning people!
Today is an important day for our blog. First of all we are glad to see that the number of visits is increasing, so thank you to all of you!! We are still missing “likes” on Facebook so please, help us to spread the page!!!
Then, as you can understand from the title of this post, we finally decided to permanently convert our blog language to English!! Indeed, after several suggestions (special thanks to Greg, Ivan and Maartje) we realized that it is now time to become 100% international as Brussels is!
And what better way to celebrate this new beginning if not a whole USA evening?
Now, when you think about USA and food what come to your mind? HAMBURGERS and FRIES!!! Well, the original idea concerned a real barbecue outdoor, but we had to deal with Belgian weather…However, we managed anyway to turn such unhealthy menu into a very nice home made dinner! How?
- We went to buy very good Irish meet for the hamburgers. For those of you who lives close to Ambiorix / Shuman you should try this place: JACK O’SHEA http://www.jackoshea.com/brussels-shop.html (here again a special thanks to Greg!)
- We did everything home made: bread, fries and sauces included!!
Ready for the recipes?
Homemade bread for hamburgers (for 8/9 sandwiches)
- 500 gr white wheat flour
- 250 gr durum wheat flour
- 100 gr butter (the salty one, typical from Belgium)
- 100 gr water
- 1 cube of fresh yeast (30 gr circa)
- 70 gr sugar
- 40 gr salt
- Milk, for mixing the dough
- 1 egg
First of all, you mix the two type of flour in a large bowl. Melt the fresh yeast in 100 gr of mild water, with 50 gr of sugar. Add to the flours the remaining sugar, and the salt, mixing everything. Make a hole in the center of the flours (in Italy we call it ‘fountain’), and pour the melted yeast and its water. Before starting kneading, add in to the bowl the butter that you already cut into small cubes, and finally put the egg. Now you can knead your dough, trying to incorporate the liquid with the solid part. If it’s too sticky, and impossible to knead, add some milk. The final dough has to be perfectly homogeneous soft, and not chewy. Cover it with a towel, and keep it away from light and windows for at least 1 hour and a half. You’ll see that after this time, the volume is doubled. Now your U.S. Hero Dough is ready to be baked. Divide it into 6/7 small balls, and roll the surface in a dish were you put sesame seeds. Pre-heat the oven at 200 C. Insert the baking pan filled with the first 4 sandwiches (there must be some distance between each sandwich, since in the oven they will grow a lot and they might get attached to each other). They will be ready when their surface is dark golden, and if you immerse a toothpick in the sandwich, the toothpick won’t be wet, and no traces of row dough will appear. Wait until they get colder, then cut them in a half, and fill them with all the things you like!!! Enjoy your meal!!
- 3 eggs (only the yolk)
- 250 ml sunflower seeds oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon of wine vinegar
Break the eggs one by one. Carefully separate the yolk to the white. Keep the yolks in a bowl with large boards. Add the pinch of salt and the teaspoon of wine vinegar while you already started beating the eggs. Once you obtain a creamy compound, you get to the most exciting and delicate phase: adding the oil. You literary have to add one single drop per time, while you keep on beating the eggs with a whisk. IMPORTANT: While you use the whisk for beating eggs, remember to always beat in the same direction (clockwise, possibly) and with the same intensity. It will take more or less 15 minutes of beating before you finish adding the oil in the bowl. You will see at the end that the compound is now very dense and yellow. When the last oil drop will be dropped into the bowl, your homemade mayonnaise will be ready! You can cover it with an aluminum foil and keep in the fridge for half an hour before using it. You can conserve it in the fridge for 3 days, but I guess your mayonnaise won’t survive more than 5 hours!!!
Cut very very thin the potatoes (it is perfect to use the peeler!) then fry them into sunflowers seeds oil. They should become very crunchy!
You can add to your hamburger what you like:
- many different kinds of cheese (We had Gouda and Gorgonzola cheese)
- salad and rocket ( to be at least a bit healthy)
- other vegetables (we made roasted mushrooms)
- Here in Belgium you can also find very nice Mustard sauces!
- For those of you who are not allergic like me to onions you can even include caramelized onions (for doing this just cook the cut onions with a bit of sugar and balsamic vinegar)
- Finally, for a proper USA hamburger, you cannot forget the fried bacon!!!
Now, do you want to see the final result? Here you have it:
- Coke and Beers are the best drinks to swallow this menu. In this case the beer was of course made in Belgium!!!
- Eat the meal listening proper USA music, if a bit trash it will be even more fun! (We actually finished the evening listening Mila&Shiro and De Andre’, thus, be careful because the combination of American food and Belgian beers can be dangerous!)
- After the dinner, if you are too stuff for further beers or food (and you will, believe me), just lay on your couch and watch ‘The Avengers’, or the most recent ‘Olympus has fallen’, or, if you have more classical taste in movies as I do, go for ‘Some likes it hot’, the masterpiece from Billy Wilder with the legendary Marilyn. Just to keep the U.S. mood turned on!